Peyton’s Ordinary E-49

Historical Marker Text
In this vicinity stood Peyton’s Ordinary. George Washington, going to Fredericksburg to visit his mother, dined here, March 6, 1769. On his way to attend the House of Burgesses, he spent the night here, October 31, 1769, and stayed here again on September 14, 1772. Rochambeau’s army, marching north from Williamsburg in 1782, camped here. [1947]


Extended Research
3942_1.jpg
Ordinaries, or inns, served as centers of social activity for colonists. Usually they were built along busy roads for convenience of travelers. A guest could expect meals, a place to sleep, and a bustling social scene where patrons discussed the latest news. Sometimes ordinaries also functioned as post offices. Yelverton Peyton was granted a license to operate an ordinary in 1768. His was one of two licensed ordinaries in Stafford County at the time (Eby 109).

George Washington made three documented visits to Peyton’s Ordinary. On March 6, 1769, he dined there. He spent the night there on October 31, 1769, on his way to the House of Burgesses in Williamsburg and another time on September 14, 1772. On their way north from Williamsburg, General Rochambeau’s army camped there in 1782 (110).

It is not clear where Peyton’s Ordinary stood. But most likely the ordinary stood close to the spring that is on the property (110).

Photo Credit
“Peyton’s Ordinary marker,” Department of Historic Resources Historical Markers, http://www.dhr.virginia.gov/hiway_markers/marker.cfm?mid=3942 (accessed April 12, 2008).

For Further Reference
Eby, Jerrilynn. They Called Stafford Home: The Development of Stafford County, Virginia, from 1600 until 1865. Bowie, MD: Heritage Books, Inc., 1997.

Department of Historic Resources map and directions

AB

This entry was posted in 1700s, Amy, Buildings, Revolutionary War, Stafford and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.