Historical Marker Text
Jerrell’s Mill E-31. Here, on May 9, 1864, Sheridan was attacked by Wickham’s cavalry. Nearby, on May 22, 1864, Warren’s (Fifth) Corps, moving to the North Anna, fought Rosser’s cavalry. 
Jerrell’s Mill was the turning-off point from Telegraph Road for Union Major General Philip H. Sheridan’s troops as they moved towards Beaver Dam Station. The Confederates, mindful of the movement, sent Brigadier General Williams C. Wickham’s cavalry down the road to attack Sheridan’s troops. Brigadier General Henry Davies, who was in charge of the rear ranks, was able to fend off attacks from Wickham’s cavalry (Rhea 114, 115).
For more information on the events, people, and places associated with Jerrell’s Mill see the following Historical Marker Page: Start of Sheridan’s Raid E-39 and Turn in Sheridan’s Raid E-30.
For Further Reference
Rhea, Gordon C. The Battles for Spotsylvania Court House and the Road to Yellow Tavern. Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press, 1997.